Regardless of your case specifics, there are things you can do that may help or hurt how large your settlement will be. Accidents can be very costly and in some cases may even prevent you from earning your usual income due to injuries. While an attorney can help you get the most out of your settlement, there are some things you can do on your own to strengthen your case.
- Get medical treatment immediately. If you are injured or believe you may be injured, seek out medical help as soon as possible.
- Report the accident. Filing a police report gives you an opportunity to state the facts of what occurred and can be used as evidence in court.
- Collect evidence. Take pictures of any injuries you or any passengers may have sustained, including damage to your car. If the other party is cooperating, write down their license plate information, license number, name, phone number, email, and insurance information. If there were any witnesses to the accident get their contact information as well.
- Stay off social media. Refrain from posting anything about your case on your social accounts. This includes Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, your blog, or any other internet platform that can be seen by others. Anything you post can be used against you.
- Don’t agree to anything without speaking to an attorney first. While you may desire a quick settlement of the issue, an attorney has a deep understanding of the law and can help you reach a fair deal.
- Don’t speak to others about your accident. Avoid giving out intimate details of your case. You may not expect someone to share your information, but this can hurt your case if it gets to the other party.
- Keep track of all of your bills. Hang on to any bills you get during this time, including medical visits, medications, car repairs, etc. These bills can be used to ensure you get enough money to cover your expenses.
- Keep going to the doctor. Follow the doctor’s instructions and keep going to your doctor’s office if you have a recurring health problem related to the accident. This can late prove that you were doing everything in your power to get better despite your injuries.
Hire an experienced attorney who deals with the practice.
Find an attorney who is well-versed in the ins and outs of personal injury and has the know-how to navigate this complex process. It can be a lot to deal with on your own on top of healing and work, and hiring an attorney can help you get the maximum settlement for your suffering. Contact Kevin Crooks today by calling 502.583.6667.